VALMET AUTOMOTIVE –
THE FAST LANE TO FUTURE VEHICLES
Founded 50 years ago, Valmet Automotive looks back on a strong history of building cars for renowned brands like Saab, Opel, Porsche, and Mercedes-Benz. While the company’s backbone was and still is vehicle manufacturing in Uusikaupunki, Finland, Valmet Automotive is now positioned for the future of electric vehicles (EV), as a highvoltage Tier 1 battery system supplier and as an engineering service provider for EV batteries, e-drivetrain, and complete vehicle integration.
Chairman of the Board, Valmet Automotive Inc.
Valmet Automotive was founded in 1968 in Uusikaupunki, Finland, as Saab- Valmet by Saab-Scania and Valmet. For over 30 years the company manufactured cars for Saab, like the Saab 900, Saab Cabriole ts 900 and 9-3. The company also built famous cars like the 1st and 2nd gener ation Porsche Boxster, and the 1st generation of the Porsche Cayman. Today, the Mercedes-Benz A-Class and the GLC are manufactured by Valmet Automotive. Production has grown from 40,000 cars per year in the 90s t o now close to 100,000 cars – with more to come.
In 2010 Valmet Automotive got into the business of convertible roof systems, taking over from Karmann in Germany and Poland. This business line develops and produces convertible roofs for car brands like Bentley, MINI, and Porsche.
The company has just started supplying other kinematic systems, e.g. supplying super cars with active spoilers and air brakes. With the acquisition of a mid-sized automotive engineering ser vice provider in Germany in early 2017,
Valmet Automotive is now specializing its engineering ser vices on electric vehicles, from battery to electric drivetrain development, including integration and application in the vehicle, and even powertrain conversions from ICE to
all-electric. The company expects this to lead to series manufacturing contracts, including prototypes and testing, covering the complete engineering and production value chain as a turnkey upstream partner for OEMs and Mobility Service Providers. The majority of the com pany is owned by two Finnish investors.
CATL, the leading battery cell manufacturer in China, stepped in 2017 as a minority shareholder. With CATL, Valmet Automotive not only has access to cell technology and Chinese cells, but can no w offer complete battery packs with its system integration and application know-how, and all the bac kbone processes of a capable Tier 1 system supplier – and all t o European OEM standards. Becoming almost a “New Valmet Automotive”, the company and its employees are in a hotspot of future vehicles, with a very compelling menu of of ferings, from battery and electric drivetrain engineering to battery system supply, to complete vehicle engineering and manufacturing. This is already providing a lot of opportunities for all employees, and Valmet Automotive is constantly looking for young professionals as well as senior experts and managers to become part of this “electrifying” growth story.
FACTS & FIGURES
approx. Euro 550 million (2017)
Jarkko Sairanen, Chairman of the Board, Valmet Automotive
Finland, Germany, Poland, Spain
DISCIPLINES FOR SEARCH
Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical engineering, Business IT, Industrial engineering, Economics, etc.
Worldwide more than 5,500 (year-end 2017), thereof approx. 1,000 engineers
- Direct entry (open positions and speculative applications)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis
- Working students
MARKETS / PRODUCTS & SERVICES AUTOMOTIVE
- Vehicle contract manufacturing: complete body-in-white manufacturing,body paint, and general assembly of complete vehicles – focus on passenger cars for automotive OEMs (traditional and new), plus Mobility Service Providers
- Engineering services: complete vehicle development, eDrive / battery development for electric vehicles, prototyping & small series manu- facturing, manufacturing engineering – for automotive OEMs, suppliers, and others
- High-voltage battery systems: development and manufacturing of com- plete battery packs including battery modules and Battery Management System (BMS) – as Tier 1 system supplier for automotive OEMs and commercial vehicle OEMs (van, bus, truck)
- Convertible roof systems: convertible roofs (soft tops, retractable hard tops, roof panels), and kinematic systems like active spoilers and air brakes – as Tier 1 system supplier for Automotive OEMs
MARKETS / PRODUCTS & SERVICES NON-AUTOMOTIVE
- High-voltage battery systems: development and manufacturing of complete battery packs including battery modules and Battery Management System (BMS) – as Tier 1 system supplier for a diverse set of industry applications, e.g. off-highway vehicles (construction equipment, etc.) and elevators